Saturday, April 12, 2008

NORRIN RADD: STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND

This was a rejected piece for the GALLERY 1988 Stan Lee show. Jensen opted for my marker piece of Stan "The Tailor Man" Lee. To each his own, I suppose--but I really like the way this turned out. I'm not sure how well it works outside of the theme of the show, but I'm sure I could justify it somehow. My inspiration once again being how Marvel Comics in the 1960's put their characters, even ones as omnipotent as The Silver Surfer or Doctor Doom cloaked in a SEARS MEN'S TRENCHCOAT and viola! Instant anonymity! In this case, Norrin Radd, otherwise known as The Silver Surfer infiltrates the general populace of New York City. In an attempt to "blend in", SS seeks out a tailor in The Village who measures and creates an ingenious disguise of trenchcoat, scarf and fedora--to which SS dons regularly throughout the next ten or so issues at least.

One such example...


Then my post it. I wanted something stark, bold...


*(It should be noted I've once again attempted to post more of my collage process; however, blogger is not letting me upload the jpegs for some reason!?)

The completed piece...

"NORRIN RADD, EVERYMAN"
OIL AND MIXED MEDIA ON CANVAS
18"x36"

No comments: