Tuesday, June 24, 2008

(MY) METAL MEN!

This was my very last paying job before marriage...something Paul Levitz at DC actually asked Tom Kenny and myself to develop ages ago, when it didn't look like we were going to get the clearance to do PLASTIC MAN. Fearing a "bait and switch", Tom and I declined...along with doing a Plas comic (PRE--Kyle Baker, I might add). Now, years later and nearly a month ago to the day, this was being talked about again @ WB...w/out any participation on my part--although the guy they WERE talking to I'd give a nut to work with. I'm not sure I can reveal his name, but he's seemingly the ONLY writer @ DC--prolific to say the least...(Jeff but with a "G"!)...hehehe

I absolutely loved working on these. Very fast. I would've liked to tweak and "flesh-out", their albeit metal designs.







Returning from my vacation I found out that not only is the project may or may not be being reworked (most likely without any further assistance by yours truly), but there's a(nother) completely new head of WB!? ...AND gas prices had risen .65 cents!!! We were only gone for 2 weeks! Geez. Talk about a Rumpelstiltskin moment.

3 comments:

Jay D Smith said...

very cool stuff! love the shapes in your character designs! fantastic!

Matt Schuler said...

Andy,

I love the Metal Men, and actually have some rough sketches that I doodled up because I thought that they would be an AWESOME animated series.
It excites me, yet saddens me that something I'd like to work on is in development.

Love the sketches and hopefully I can get around to posting mine up eventually.

-matt

Whit said...

If you don't like the head of Warners, wait twenty minutes and he or she will change.