Sunday, December 14, 2008

I LIKE SUPER HEROES!

...though I'm not a fan of the show, "Heroes". Loathe it, actually. Tim Kring thinks superheroes are dumb and has no respect for the medium and merely attached himself to a fad. I'll say it: I like spandex. Don't get me wrong, I love 100 Bullets' crime noir, sci-fi and I'm awestruck by Jordi Bernet each month in DC's western, Jonah Hex--hell, I even love a darker, grittier, "real-life" take on The Punisher. I dig comedy and indies. But reading Marvel's recent mini (maxi?)-series Secret Invasion reminded me of the late '80's, riding my bike up to Dave's Comix to buy the latest Secret War. I like Daredevil having lady troubles, nervous breakdowns and his annual disbarment--but I also love seeing him in his red tights, kicking ass in Josie's Bar and shaking down Turk, the low-level, lowlife and snitch. Homoerotic undertones? Maybe. Latent homosexuality masked BY masks, muscles and musical-like choreographed fights? Probably. But I'll take it. I say, put Luke Cage back in his yellow satin shirt and tiara! You know you want it.

I've always wanted to do a DEMON series...
Jason Blood was one of my favorite Kirby characters. Even visually, his blood-red hair and white streak--so, so cool.

Here's a couple of 'love-letters' to Rick Remender. FEAR AGENT is a super fun read, with a great anti-hero, "Heath Huston".
And you should buy THE END LEAGUE on concept alone...

I did the next few sketches awhile back. One of my first posts was about Gene Colan's DOCTOR STRANGE. He's one of my favorite characters--totally underused in my opinion . I can't remember if I've already posted this Martian Manhunter before. I did this a year or two ago. Sometime's I get disappointed by the lack of "design"--especially in Team-Up books. If you got a big brawler dude on the team, give him some weight, mass, etc.

Oh well. I had fun drawing these. Superheroes. Sigh.

10 comments:

Xelu said...

i love your style¨¨

great job.

Michelle Bickford said...

Your hands and brain is soooo busy creating coolness... when do you sleep?!?

Quinton Peeples said...

You are SO right! A Demon series drawn by you would be outstanding! Dr. Strange as well! These are great drawings and I can't wait to see what you are up to next.

Michelle Bickford said...

I meant "your hands and brain ARE soooo busy"... yeesh, that will teach me to comment before noon!

... oh, and I can't tolerate 'Heros' anymore. Doug pretends to watch it while he is coding but I just flat out ignore it. There are too many story over laps, some charterers are disconnected or thrown in at random to fill a hole... and some stories don't even go anywhere... I think they are making it up as they go along.

wolfboy said...

They're DEFINITELY making it up as they go--it's totally "Days of our Lives" w/bigger budget. There are never any real stakes, because no character is really "dead". At least the good ones.

T' said...

LOVE that thick-limbed take on J'onn J'onzz. He's really cool. And that thick ink will make my day every time. You could do a really cool portfolio of your favorite Jack characters. That'd be keen. Your work always makes me want to ink.

Unknown said...

Reminds me of riding my bike to "I'M COMICS" in Whittier for latest issue of X MEN and also SECRET WARS. Really cool sketches the Martian is my favorite! Used to be fan of Heroes :/ in the beginning of the 1st season now its just a big pile of dung heap!

Custom Coaster said...

Hey there is a buncha people that like to see Men and Women run about in skin tight clothes or loose fabric draped over their bodies... where was I going. Oh yes, I mean yeah it's a poor sight to see the comic community to be summed up as a poor man's X-men (Heroes) and Star-everything. It's fun to see another person's look on how they would put together their own Gen13, but it doesn't matter own cute your underage cheerleader is if the story is garbage.

Anyhow Kirby just knew what he was doing from the start, it was like someone said when he was 10 "Your gonna die in 20 years, boy!" it seems pretty far from then, but just think about when you really got your life in order. I'd have about 5 years to draw my brains all over the paper.

Re-vamping the Demon saga that's madness and the greatest madness there is, but you'd need to add another limbo character like Lobo or the Inferior Five. Just thinking about this epic series is making me drool a bit.

wolfboy said...

The INFERIOR FIVE are amazing and one of my favorite series, Custom Coaster!

Anonymous said...

看房子,買房子,建商自售,自售,台北新成屋,台北豪宅,新成屋,豪宅,美髮儀器,美髮,儀器,髮型,EMBA,MBA,學位,EMBA,專業認證,認證課程,博士學位,DBA,PHD,在職進修,碩士學位,推廣教育,DBA,進修課程,碩士學位,網路廣告,關鍵字廣告,關鍵字,課程介紹,學分班,文憑,牛樟芝,段木,牛樟菇,日式料理, 台北居酒屋,日本料理,結婚,婚宴場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,台北結婚,場地,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,造型系列,學位,SEO,婚宴,捷運,學區,美髮,儀器,髮型,看房子,買房子,建商自售,自售,房子,捷運,學區,台北新成屋,台北豪宅,新成屋,豪宅,學位,碩士學位,進修,在職進修, 課程,教育,學位,證照,mba,文憑,學分班,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,婚宴,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,婚宴,台北住宿,國內訂房,台北HOTEL,台北婚宴,飯店優惠,住宿,訂房,HOTEL,飯店,婚宴,結婚,婚宴場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北結婚,場地,結婚,場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北結婚,婚宴場地,結婚,婚宴場地,推車飲茶,港式點心,尾牙春酒,台北結婚,場地,居酒屋,燒烤,美髮,儀器,髮型,美髮,儀器,髮型,美髮,儀器,髮型,美髮,儀器,髮型,小套房,小套房,進修,在職進修,留學,證照,MBA,EMBA,留學,MBA,EMBA,留學,進修,在職進修,牛樟芝,段木,牛樟菇,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,PMP,在職專班,研究所在職專班,碩士在職專班,PMP,證照,在職專班,研究所在職專班,碩士在職專班,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,SEO,廣告,關鍵字,關鍵字排名,網路行銷,網頁設計,網站設計,網站排名,搜尋引擎,網路廣告,EMBA,MBA,PMP
,在職進修,專案管理,出國留學,EMBA,MBA,PMP
,在職進修,專案管理,出國留學,EMBA,MBA,PMP,在職進修,專案管理,出國留學,婚宴,婚宴,婚宴,婚宴,漢高資訊,漢高資訊,比利時,比利時聯合商學院,宜蘭民宿,台東民宿,澎湖民宿,墾丁民宿,花蓮民宿,SEO,找工作

住宿,民宿,飯宿,住宿,民宿,美容,美髮,整形,造型,美容,室內設計,室內設計,室內設計,室內設計,室內設計,漢高資訊,在職進修,漢高資訊,在職進修,漢高資訊,在職進修,漢高資訊,在職進修,漢高資訊,在職進修,住宿,民宿,飯店,旅遊,美容,美髮,整形,造型,設計,室內設計,裝潢,房地產,進修,在職進修,MBA,EMBA,羅志祥,周杰倫,五月天,蔡依林,林志玲,羅志祥,周杰倫,五月天,蔡依林,林志玲,羅志祥,羅志祥,周杰倫,五月天,蔡依林,住宿,民宿,飯宿,旅遊,住宿,民宿,飯宿,旅遊,美髮,整形,造型,美容,美髮,整形,造型,設計,室內設計,裝潢,房地產,設計,室內設計,裝潢,房地產,比利時聯合商學院,在職進修,MBA,EMBA,比利時聯合商學院,在職進修,MBA,EMBA,漢高資訊